Tuesday 20 May 2014

Jet Black

Another order from Drinkstore.ie has made a real dent in my wallet, but will also help me make a further dent into drinking my way through "1001 Beers". Photo of some things to come below just to tease!

So, I've been saving the next beer for a wee while, and thought it would be a good way to mark reaching 210 beers!


210. Mikkeller Black
Style: Imperial Stout. ABV: 18.1%. From: Drinkstore.ie 
Description: This thing is so dark I had to turn lights on in each room I moved into... Good brown head that lasted well considering the ABV. Wow, big aroma - burnt malt, booze, wood, something slightly lactic and sour, sugar, smoke. Taste hits in a big way too, more of that burnt malt, there's a sugary sweetness to along with (very) bitter chocolate and coffee. Wood, smoke, and may be a hint of vanilla, and lots (and lots) of booze. Very rich, oily, and lasting.
Thoughts: This is not an easily drunk beer. There's a lot going on and the booze level is through the roof. I did enjoy it but I'd guess it need more ageing - a good couple of years at that - to mellow it out and take the edges off. Worth trying but I preferred the Bourbon County Stout.
Score: 8.5


Now to some outsiders - I've been buying some local Irish/Norn Irish beers recently so a quick summary of these...

174. Kinnegar Rustbucket
Style: Rye Beer. ABV: 5.1%. From: Grange Wines
Description: Dark amber going on light brown, white head. On the aroma I got some caramel and a hint of grapefruit. Flavour starts biscuity, then some caramel malt sweetness, and finally some bittering hops kick in. May be a little spice in there too. Quite light, coated my mouth a little but not what I'd call "sticky"
Thoughts: Not a bad drop this, might be slightly better for a autumn night but was a decent rye ale.
Score: 6.5

175. O'Hara's DIPA 
Style: Imperial IPA. ABV: 7.5%. From: Grange Wines
Description: Golden in colour with a small off-white head. Lots of floral hops and sugar on the nose, a little piney aroma in there too. This came through very sweet, some floral notes and some citrus but its not really getting through strongly. Sticky mouth feel.
Thoughts: I was looking forward to this, and the beer nut (who's blog is excellent by the way) seemed to enjoy it , which is nearly always a good sign. For me, however, it just didn't work - way too sweet, a sickly kinda special brew sweetness at that, with nothing else getting through. I nearly didn't finish it at all. It may well have been a bad bottle, but it's not something I'll be buying again... ever... 
Score: 3


176. Pokertree Seven Sister Treacle Stout 
Style: Stout. ABV: 5.9%. From: Grange Wines
Description: Poured a decent thick dark brown (almost black), with a beige head. Some roasted malt on the aroma, but also some light coffee and chocolate, and a definite brown sugar sweetness. The treacle remains in the flavour giving it some richness, the roasted malt and coffee make a come back too, I also got some dark fruit. Quite light bodied. 
Thoughts: I waited for a second tasting to give this a review. The flavour holds up well for me, a solid oatmeal stout with a nice hint of brown sugary moreishness. Its not huge flavour wise but very drinkable. I think it could take a bit more fullness in body to really round it out.
Score: 6.5


Right I'm off to line up more of the beers in the picture, but I'll leave you with a final reminder for Beerclubbelfast next Thursday (29th @ 7pm) with the guys from marble coming over it should be a great event... I'm even planning to make it down - hopefully see you there.

Cheers

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for the shout-out. I'm not much of a fan of bottled O'Hara's DIPA either. It's much better -- cleaner -- on keg.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem - really enjoy your work. The bottle/keg thin makes sense - never seen it up here on keg, a trip down to try our the beers in Dublin is required!

      Delete
    2. It's rare enough on keg in Dublin. You need to go to the brewery tap in Kilkenny.

      Delete