Saturday 18 January 2014

Dead ringer for beer

So I've been noticing a bit of "regression to mean" in my scoring, with everything getting 6.5 to 7.5. Makes it hard to differentiate between them, especially when looking back for comparison purposes. I suppose its trying to be "nice" and not controversial but I think I need to be a bit clearer. So I'm going to try to be a bit more discerning in my scoring - with a 5 being OK but I probably wouldn't buy again, and upwards from there.  

Anyway, I missed BeerClubBelfast on the 16 January but heard good things! Really hope to make the next one in Feb!

Next up is beer 196 from "1001 Beers to Try Before You Die". Again the observant will realise I have skipped 195... well I just realised the Nogne Imperial Stout's on the list and I'd missed it, so it is beer 195!

196. Rogue Dead Guy Ale
Style: Maibock ABV: 6.6% From: Lighthouse wines
Description: Amber and Hazy. Small white head that disappeared quickly. A light malty aroma, maybe a hint of of caramel, but quite muted. A little hop bitterness (in an English ale kinda way) in taste, with lots of decent malt - biscuity, a little sweet but not over done. Slightly heavier than light bodied, mid carbonation. 
Conclusion: So this is labelled as a Maibock/Helles Bock - but it says it's made with ale yeast... whatever, its tasty. Really nice - like a bit of an amped up English ale but fizzy! perfect for a post football beer if you ask me!
Score: I'd deffo get this again, despite what I've said at the beginning of this post I think this deserves a solid 7.

Just the one beer tonight - review of Founder's Breakfast stout to come soon!.

Cheers 

No comments:

Post a Comment